Tuesday 14 January 2014

Yummy Anzac Biscuit Recipe



As you know my mum has been visiting for the week and one of the super lovely things she does to spoil our little family while she is here, is bake up a storm. She indulges us in everything from biscuits and cakes to lasagne and hearty minestrone. I know when my husband and I lived with mum and dad for a couple of months we stacked on the kilos as a result of all her wonderful cooking. But I'm certainly not complaining - a house filled with the smell of freshly baked biscuits is such a treat. I thought I'd share the love and fill you in on one of mum's yummy recipes, that not only taste so good, but smell fantastic too!


My mum gave me this recipe book when I moved out of home many years ago and it contains some of her most loved recipes. It must have been quite difficult for mum to transcribe most of the recipes in the book because she generally bakes from memory. She's not a fan of measuring cups or precision when it comes to her cooking, its all done by feel and years of practice - I'm so jealous!

Anzac Biscuit Recipe

Ingredients

  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 cup dessicated coconut
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup
  • 2 teaspoons bi-carb of soda
  • 125g butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon, ginger and mixed spice

Method

  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 fan forced).
  • Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl (except the bi-carb of soda).
  • Melt butter, golden syrup and water together in the microwave. When mixture is bubbling, add the bi-carb of soda.
  • Add wet mixture to dry and mix to combine.
  • Spoon balls onto two trays lined with baking paper.
  • Cook for 20 minutes, until biscuits have browned.

These biscuits are chewy and moist and I love the way mum gives them a free-form, rustic sort of shape. You can make them as big or as small as you like.

 
 
 
 
 
 
I know that Anzac Day is still a few months away, but there's no reason why we can't enjoy these yummy biscuits at any time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment