Sunday 5 January 2014

Snap Happy

I'm an avid photography lover, but have never been particularly good at it and with the arrival of my little girl I have decided I need to pick up my photography game. Photos can often say so much than more words, so I'm hoping improved photos will also help with my tutorials and general story-telling for Coventry Lane Design.

At the moment I tend to use my smartphone for all of my pics, simply because of the fact that the camera we bought last year is TERRIBLE! I'm definitely in the 'point and shoot' category and the camera we have takes the most washed out photos, even when I'm using the right scene setting. We previously had a Panasonic Lumix (no idea of what model, but it was some years ago) until it died. We took this camera overseas with us and it took a great photo with no knowledge of the settings or photography required. These are a couple I took while in Italy...





I think they came up a treat for someone who is the complete novice category.


For some reason when we upgraded our camera we went to the Olympus VR-310 (it must have been on special!!!), and after using it on a couple of occasions it now sits in the cupboard.

So I'm pondering over the idea of moving onto a digital SLR camera. One that I can just use as a 'point and shoot' to start with, and then progress to learn some photography skills. I've done the research on the beginner DSLRs and I'm hearing that the Nikon D3100 or D3200 are a great entry level camera. Without going into the specs of each camera, here are a couple of the pros and cons.

 Nikon D3100 (via cnet)
Pros
  • Excellent photo quality (14.2-megapixel)
  • Well laid out controls
  • User friendly
  • Full HD video capture
Cons
  • Slower than others on the market
  • No bracketing (I have no idea what this means!!!)
I found a great review over at Photography Blog.

Nikon D3200 (via My Nikon Life)
 Pros
  • Great beginner camera
  • Very good image quality (24-megapixel)
  • Same image processor as used in higher-end Nikon cameras
  • Improved subject tracking, metering and automatic white balance on the D3100
Cons
  • Inaccurate viewfinder colour
  • Auto focus in video shooting can be unsmooth
  • No auto bracketing
  • More expensive than the D3100
I found a great review over at CNet.

Does anyone have any experience using either of these two cameras, or have any advice on any other entry level DSLR?

No comments:

Post a Comment